We’re developing our Listening Room Network for those die-hard music appreciators who want to be able to hear the lyrics, and enjoy a show without distractions… we think music deserves the same respect as a fine movie. 8^)
We can no longer maintain the value of recorded music. Anything recorded is available for free. The people who pay for music usually do it because it is coupled with another experience; typically, a live one.
More than ever, we have to affirm the value and the experience of live music.
House concerts have answered the call, allowing volunteers across the globe to affirm their deep love of music and artists by hosting concerts, offering their spaces, their time, and their friends. ConcertsInYourHome has led the way for more than a decade.
In just a few days we’ll be going live with our first-ever Kickstarter Campaign. We’re taking the ConcertsInYourHome community to the next level, and creating a support system for public listening rooms as well.
We started this work in 2006, and while that put us at the forefront of house concert movement, it also means that our sprawling internet platform is dated and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
We have some really nice plans for the needs of our community, and we’re looking to include more friends on our journey.
Some of the perks we’ll include are (of course) music, and a very nifty, soft first-ever Listening Room Network t-shirt – our coolest design yet.
Our campaign also features rewards linked to our Listening Room Festival in St. Petersburg, FL – VIP tickets, hotel packages, sponsorships, and more. This is a wonderful and unique festival, designed to inspire hosts from all over the world to meet their tribe – in person, surrounded by great music. Our biggest contributors can even co-create a Listening Room Festival in their home region, based on the platform and reputation we’ve already developed.
Another set of rewards focus around the music and expertise of Fran Snyder, the founder of CIYH who toured a million miles with his acoustic guitar and original songs before directing his energy and passion into this network. You can book Fran for a house concert as well as a house concert workshop, designed to inspire more activity in your area.
After 11 years of work, there’s no doubting our commitment to helping and growing this community. Today we face an opportunity together – let’s create the resources and new friends we need to make this community more vibrant than ever.
The campaign starts October 25th. Subscribe to get the first look at the campaign and exclusive rewards.
A Banner Year!
We continued and expanded our yearly celebration of house concerts, setting records for local and travel attendance. 2017 was also a great year for our artists, with each act having a full schedule for the week, and immediate interest for future bookings in our area.
- 500 Attendees at showcase – best of our 6 year history!
- $2300 (avg) earnings for festival acts.
- 20 house concerts
- 5 additional concerts and appearances – office concerts, radio appearances.
- 6 international attendees (mostly from France)
- 10 out of state attendees (Tennessee, Minnesota, Virginia, Texas)
Our festival received coverage, articles, and our artists made appearances in:
• Creative Loafing
• St. Pete Times
• WFTS Television (ABC)
• WMNF Radio
• Assorted blogs and websites.
Economic Impact for the City
Listening Room Festival contributes ever-growing revenue for the City of St. Petersburg and the Tampa Bay area.
• Room Nights 30 @ $150 = $4500 (24 room nights at host hotel)
• Additional Travel Spending (estimated) = $6000
• After-Party at SouZou, 110 attendees and pre-show dinner bump
• $500 donation to St. Pete Arts Alliance
Preparations already underway for LRFest18! (April 18-22, 2018)
- Artist applications May 15 – June 30
- Judging (done by hosts of ConcertsInYourHome.com) June 27 – July 25
photos by Donna Green, of course!
For Immediate Release
A house concert workshop has been scheduled for April 22nd, as part of the Listening Room Festival.
The workshop is led by Fran Snyder, the founder of ConcertsInYourHome.com – the leading resource for house concerts around the world. Anyone interested in hosting house concerts is welcome to attend.
House concerts are an old tradition that has become vital to the careers of independent touring artists. With the shifting sands of technology and the music business, artists have found that the live experience is not easily duplicated (cheapened) and the intimacy of playing in close, homey quarters provides todays best opportunity to sell CDs and merchandise as well.
ConcertsInYourHome educates and inspires music fans to put on concerts in their living rooms, backyards, and other interesting locations. Some of these music fans make house concerts their hobby of choice, hosting 6-12 concerts per year for friends and invited guests.
The workshop takes place during the 6th annual Listening Room Festival – a gathering attended by house concert hosts and fans from around the world. Attendees have 20 house concerts to choose from over 5 days, and the main event is a showcase at the Palladium Theater in St. Petersburg, featuring all 6 festival acts.
Workshop will include Q&A session and handouts for attendees. Topics will include building an audience, collaborating with other hosts, suggested donations, common mistakes, and some breakthrough ideas.
LRFest Meeting and House Concert Workshop.
Saturday, April 22
Staybridge Suites (meeting room)
940 5th Ave S
St. Petersburg, FL 33705
10am – 11am – breakfast and meet/greet
11am – Festival feedback
11:30am – HC workshop, Q&A based on your advance questions
1pm – wrap-up
The workshop is free for those who register in advance at this link. ($5 at the door if not registered.)
“As soon as we had a great video that showed us at our best, everything became easier – booking, promoting, getting showcases… you name it. It’s one of the best investments we’ve made in our career.” – Rory Cloud of Quiles and Cloud
In mid April we’ll start taking artist applications for the 2018 Listening Room Festival. We want you to be ready, with a couple of videos that will make hosts and venues fall in love with you and your music. These videos can serve you beyond the LRF application, but in booking concerts on your own as well as through services like ConcertsInYourHome. Think of it as a compelling reason to do it now.
Booking is hard work. We (Listening Room Network) are dedicated to making it easier, and more rewarding for you. That said, nothing makes it easier than a great video. This is especially true for house concerts. When you consider the time, effort, and investment that each host makes on your behalf, they can’t just enjoy what you do. They have to love it.
Creating a great video doesn’t have to be expensive, and most of the effort it requires is stuff you should be doing anyway. To get ready,
- Pick your most loved song(s) – which ones consistently get the best reaction?
- Develop your performance – are you just playing it accurately, or is your performance compelling to watch?
- Record drafts of your performances with your phone, or anything that can show you what you are doing. Are you leaning in to parts of the song, making eye contact, etc.
- Choose a setting that reflects the type of show you are trying to book… it doesn’t have to be a living room – but an intimate setting would be great.
- Recruit some friends/fans to attend the shoot so that you can capture some interaction or at least some applause.
Then reach out to video people in your community. Who can help? What kind of budget will you need to do something cool and compelling? Put something together and try it. Learn from it. This is not your last your video, but it could be the best one yet.
Get it done. We can’t wait to see it.
We’re delighted to announce a special rate with Staybridge Suites, our hotel partner for the Listening Room Festival, April 19-23rd.
First, the amenities:
- Super-clean, new property three minutes from city center.
- Free Parking
- Free Internet
- Free Shuttle
- Free Breakfast
- Free Cocktail Hour (Tuesday & Wednesday)
Staybridge Suites is offering us special rates on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
- King Studio Suites $139
- Double Bed Studio Studio Suites $149
Book your hotel now to get our special rate.
Email Sales Manager Kathy Montz with your dates and room type choice. Email email@example.com or call 855-914-1821 and mention the “Listening Room Festival ” The group discount code: LRF
For Immediate Release
Florida “House Concert” Festival Connects Fans from All Over the World
The 6th Annual Listening Room Festival invites house concert presenters, artists and fans to join in this year’s festivities. Music-lovers from around the globe are traveling to St. Petersburg, FL to enjoy the house concerts, showcase, and planned group activities from April 19-23, 2017.
Six international contest winners will play the Main Showcase (April 21) at the Palladium Theater in St. Petersburg, as well as house concerts in the surrounding region. This year’s artists are The Currys, Teneia, Mark Croft, Flagship Romance, Daniel Champagne, and Christie Lenée.
House concerts are the core of the festival. Music fans volunteer to host living room concerts, and invite friends to attend an up-close-and-personal show by a professional touring artist. Attendees are asked to make a suggested donation of $10-20 per person to the performers.
The main showcase at the Palladium Theater features all six acts and is not to be missed. In addition, this year’s festival includes group activities and workshops to educate and inspire fans to join the growing house concert movement.
2017 Festival Schedule
Schedule is subject to change. Please register for the festival to receive updates.
Wednesday April 19
- Evening – House Concerts (Tampa, Tarpon Springs, Largo, Clearwater, Safety Harbor)
Thursday April 20
- 10:30AM – Office Concert with Mark Croft at the Greenhouse (440 2nd Avenue North, St. Petersburg.) One-hour concert.
- Evening – House Concerts (St. Petersburg, Tampa, Brandon, Clearwater)
Friday April 21
- 7:30pm Main Showcase at Palladium Theater, featuring all 6 acts! (tickets)
- 10:30pm After-Party at SouZou – festival performers cut loose and jam. Enjoy themed cocktails named after our festival artists. This will sell out – VIP ticket holders get free entry, all others must purchase.
Saturday April 22
- 10am-1pm House Concert Workshop and Host Meet and Greet at Staybridge Suites Free to attend if you RSVP here. $5 at the door.
- Evening – House Concerts (St. Petersburg, Seminole, Tampa, Brandon, Clearwater)
Sunday April 23
- 10:30am – Brunch for hosts, featured artists, and invited guests.
- 1pm and 4pm House Concerts
- Evening – House Concerts (St. Petersburg, Dunedin, Ft. Myers, Sarasota)
The festival is presented by ConcertsInYourHome.com, part of The Listening Room Network.
More information and tickets are available through ListeningRoomFestival.com.
About the Listening Room Network:
Listening Room Network (LRN) creates and nurtures opportunities that pay artists to perform in a listening environment while bringing communities together with a renewed passion for live music. LRN and its signature websites (ConcertsInYourHome.com, OfficeConcerts.com) are leading innovators in the live music industry.
Free house concert guide: Download (PDF)
HighRes Press photos: Office Concerts, House Concerts, Fran Snyder, and Festival Finale.