Improve the delivery of one verse.
How can you convey more emotion in that verse?
- A facial expression
- a physical gesture
- spatial movement – move your body away or toward the mic/audience.
- a rhythmic stop – on a word, cut a phrase short, or add a staccato finish on the chord.
- phrasing/diction – are some words difficult for listeners to understand? Melody can sometimes obscure words as much as poor or affected vocalization. “Hip singers” beware, sometimes we can’t understand you!
- dynamics – sing a word or whole line more softly or loudly
- a variation in the melody
Experiment in front of a mirror until you’ve found one way to improve the performance of that verse. Try doing this once per week to a song, and feel how your show improves.