Explore the different versions of DinnerAndSong – mini house concerts for traveling artists.
DinnerAndSong – Having it Your Way
by Jeff Robertson
It hasn’t taken long, but there’s already more than one type of DinnerAndSong event. And these variations are exciting. They offer options. So let’s drill down on this.
At the core of a mini-concert are two elements that you can’t do without:
- the music
- the meet-and-greet afterwards
The music is usually an unplugged 35-minute concert, an extraordinary personal experience for the guests and artist alike.
The meet-and-greet is 15 minutes of connecting and selling signed CDs. Warm, efficient, opening doors for follow-up interaction.
So there’s your core. 50 minutes.
What happens before the music is what creates those cool options, and it’s what governs the feel and the length of your mini-concert. Here are a couple of options:
- dinner & song – our flagship event. Add 40 minutes before the music for a casual meal for 6-10 guests and the artist. Sweet. Guests get to know the artist in a unique way. $10 donation. Total time = 90 minutes.
- dessert & song – shorter, and much sweeter. Sugar everywhere. Add just 25 minutes to the front end for grazing from the dessert table. 6-20 guests. Afternoon or after dinner. $10 donation. Total time = 75 minutes.
Ah, are the lightbulbs going off in your head now? Uh huh.
So, how would you rank these options as far as their appeal for your situation? Have another variation in mind? Leave a comment!
Next blog: Minimize your concert prep. Stay tuned!
awkward, funny exchange from someone wanting to avoid their ex at a house concert.
Dear Russ & Julie,
I am looking forward to seeing you at the House Concert this Saturday. Can you please do me a small favor and make sure Jane Doe isn't on your RSVP list. She and I ended our relationship in the not too distant past and I don't wish to run into her. Thank you for helping to preserve my sanity!
– – – – –
Actually we DO have Jane Doe down for 2 people on the RSVP list.
You RSVP'd first, but she RSVP'd some time ago.
Russ & Julie
– – – – –
Dear Russ & Julie
I don't want to put you guys in the midst of any drama, but can you tell me when she RSVP'd?
Also, go ahead and cancel my RSVP so someone else can see the show.
Funny thing is I'm now dating someone you know who I met at a Russ & Julie's House Concert!! (We're calling it the Musical eHarmony!)
– – – – –
The answer to your question is that she RSVP'd on Christmas Day.
Sorry that you have to cancel. We will open up your 2 spots to people on our Waiting List.
So glad we were able to help you find someone here at Musical eHarmony…. we aim to please! 😉
We hope to see you again soon.
All the best,
Russ & Julie
Toronto's Suzie Vinnick, the 2010 CIYH video contest's top vote getter, received a 10-gig tour during May 2011 as the grand prize. CIYH is excited to announce that the US upper midwest was just selected as the tour region.
Suzie will start out in northwest Ohio and loop counterclockwise including stops in Chicago, Omaha, Kansas, Oklahoma, St. Louis and back through cities in the Great Lakes region before returning home to the province of Ontario. A very busy 13-day swing!
About half of the tour stops are confirmed, which still leaves many opportunities available to be among the dozen hosts who will participate in this special opportunity to host a top-tier artist.
Maybe one of these is perfect for you or a friend you know who lives there. See if you can help us complete this great tour. ("area" means within 90 minutes, green dates are still available.)
- Friday, May 20 – Montpelier OH, host confirmed
- Saturday, May 21 – Chicago IL area
- Sunday, May 22 – Chicago IL area
- Monday, May 23 – Iowa City IA, confirmed
- Tuesday, May 24 – Des Moines IA area
- Wednesday, May 25 – Des Moines IA or Omaha NE areas
- Thursday, May 26 – Omaha NE or Kansas City MO areas
- Friday, May 27 – Kansas City MO area, confirmed
- Saturday, May 28 – Tulsa OK, confirmed
- Sunday, May 29 – Kansas OK, confirmed
- Monday, May 30 – St. Louis, confirmed
- Tuesday, May 31 – Indianapolis IN or Chicago IL areas
- Wednesday, June 1 – Cleveland/Akron OH or Detroit MI areas
We'll welcome host requests to sponsor full house concerts on any of the above days. DinnerAndSong (DNS) events are also fine for weekdays.
Interested? Contact Jeff at jeff @ ListeningRoomNetwork.com by Sunday, January 9, for details.